Tuesday, November 27, 2012

DIY: Game of Thrones Quote Painting













This project was a ridiculous amount of fun to execute, and I am here to educate you on this very easy but very rewarding art process!

What You'll Need:

  • 1 Canvas or old painting from a thrift store
  • 1 Pack of vinyl letters (mine are from Amazon, here. The size depends on the size of your canvas. Also I used Helvetica, because hipsters)
  • Paint!
  • A quote or song lyric. Something awesome, obviously.

1) First, get a canvas or an old painting at a thrift store. I forgot to take photos of this painting before we threw paint on it, but it was this horrible modern painting I found at the Goodwill Outlet and brought home for $3. In the past I have used old landscapes for this process, but this painting was honestly so hideous I didn't want it showing through. So Dan and I painted our own little abstract nonsense (each of us took one side of the canvas). You don't have to do this step, but it adds a little more personal-ness to it!

2) If you decided to paint on the canvas, wait for the paint to dry. Then, cut your letters out and set them down on the canvas in the order you'd like. Once you're certain you are ready to make this commitment, SLAP THOSE LETTERS DOWN. I was a little timid about pressing too hard ("what if they pull the paint up?") but don't even worry about it. Get them down on there hard or paint is going to try and creep underneath them like a dick.

3) Letter stickers properly adhered? GOOD. Squirt some paint down on that bad boy (in whatever color your little heart desires!) and spread it around. Don't be shy. Get it as thick or as thin as you'd like. Mix colors. GO WILD!

4) Go have a few glasses of wine while you wait for the paint to dry. This will considerably heighten your glee when you see the finished product. Finished your bottle? Good. Next step!

5) Make sure the paint is dry, and then TEAR UP THE STICKERS. I keep mine for future use, so if that's your thing stick them back on the backing. Otherwise, throw them away and stare in awe upon your sexy new arts. Don't you feel crafty? You might be able to try knitting or quilting or getting married next!

6) Hang up your new arts and/or gift it to someone you love/hate (depending on the outcome). Drink another bottle of wine while you revel at your handiwork.

TADA! 

This bad boy is now hanging above the bed, reminding us every night to be FUCKING TERRIFIED before we go to sleep.

8 comments:

  1. This looks so fun! I keep waiting to find the right quote before I do one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, this is cool! I want to try this some time, it's be a neat little piece to hang in my room and your dog is so cute!! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    -Sarah
    The Weekend Diary

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOT quotes? Sold. Freaking hell I can't wait to do this in a couple of weeks in my own house where the paint fumes won't make me high and lighting incense won't bring the wrath of RA's down on my head.

    http://anni-dot-elle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I love how it turned out! xo
    Best, M.
    http://fadedmstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! So many good GoT quotes to choose from!

    whiskey for breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  6. VERY cool. I love me some Game of Thrones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I like both the white canvas and the version with the black letters.
    following~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...